Monday 28 March 2016

Connecting essay 3- Phebe Schmidt and Pink and Blue

Phebe Schmidt


Pink and Blue


The first of the above images is by an Australian photographer called Phebe Schmidt and the second image is from my series pink and blue.

Phoebe Schmidt's work uses bold eye-catching composition and colouration to create striking feminist photography.  She is completely unapologetic in her somewhat outrageous shoot ideas and therefore has a completely unique and enthralling portfolio which employs colour and surrealism to look at the way in which the world appears to have become consumer based and artificial.

 Schmidt's work is similar to my own in the fact that she often uses bold block coloured backgrounds in pastel tones to help give her images a more bold and striking appearance; the use of bold bright colours also helps to differentiate her work from many other feminist photographers whom use black and white photography such as Liora K. and has allowed her to create a unique and easily distinguishable style.  I have attempted to use block colours in a similar way to Schmidt however have strayed from her style by using pink and blue backdrops to juxtapose more feminine activities with masculine colouration.  My work bears similarity to Schmidt's in the fact that both images use a deep depth of field which helps to keep the entire image in focus.

My image differs from Schmidt's work as it is presented in a landscape orientation whilst Schmidt's image and the majority of her other work is presented in a square format.  I chose to move away from Schmidt's stylised orientation as I liked the fact that a landscape image gave me the freedom to have a far more spread out composition of objects in my shot.  My images subject matter distances itself from Schmidt's work to some extent as many of her photographs feature human subjects however there are also a number of her images which are not portraiture so therefore my image is still in keeping with her style.

If I were to revisit my shoot I would consider finding a larger variety of objects to shoot as I think that this would enable to me to make the composition of some of my images more interesting I would also like to experiment with surrealism as Schmidt's work has an undercurrent of dark surrealism beneath the bright pastel surface. 

To conclude Schmidt's bright feminist style deeply influenced this shoot as it inspired my to explore the use of bold bright colours whilst incorporating striking compositions.




No comments:

Post a Comment